Sell Books Online Now!

Self-Published Author Kennebrew Surant Reveals Self-Publishing Secrets

Today, we talk to self-published author Kennebrew Surant, who wrote “Life on the Line,” a murder mystery, available on jexbo at http://www.jexbo.com/items/48. Here’s what Kennebrew has to share:

Tell us about your self-published book.

My novel, Life on the Line, is a murder mystery that I wrote while working for Chrysler. I was a management trainee who spent a lot of time working in various factories. I've always loved to write and tell stories.

I would tell friends and family stories about different people I encountered while at work, and they really seemed to love these real-life accounts of what had become just another day at the plant. I begin journaling about my day. Every time something funny happened, or something happened to make me mad, I would just write it down. At one point, my notebook seemed to just be a big book of rants!

I worked 13 to 14 1/2 hours every day, six and seven days a week, at one of the largest stamping plants in the world and was exposed to so much that I'd never really expected to exist in a work environment.

When the notebook was filled, I thought, "I should write a book with all of this stuff," so I did. The book can be found at http://www.jexbo.com/items/48.

Why did you decide to self-publish?

I self-published not wanting to wait to follow traditional means to get my book out there. I loved my story and wanted to share it with others. Every time someone reads it and comments about something I specifically did, like writing a certain way or using a certain voice, I am so flattered, not only because they read and enjoyed the story, but because it's like they also "got the story."

What was your biggest challenge to overcome in self-publishing your book?

I really didn't find any obstacles in self-publishing. I hated my job as a manager in the auto industry, but I love to write, so for me, it was a matter of doing something I loved and working hard to complete it. I said I was working a lot of hours when I wrote the book. Well, putting the work into publish it was often on top of the 80 plus hours a week I was putting in at work. But it never drained me.

What has been the best part about self-publishing your book?

I was excited to do it and very excited to find all the options out there available to someone who wants to publish their work.

What advice do you have for other, potential writers and self-published authors?

I would advise anyone who would want to follow the same path to make sure they do their research. I am happy with the company I chose to help me self-publish (Xlibris) but they might not be the best choice for all situations or all books. There were things about that company I liked for my book, but maybe not for my second, like they didn't design the cover. And though I am creative, I am not a visual artist, so I struggled with this decision.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Finally, I would like to add, that I first read about jexbo in the “Detroit Free Press” a few years ago and loved the idea of this website. I wish the founder of it the best of luck and I direct all my friends to it.

Thanks for your kind words and great insights Kennebrew! To read Kennebrew's book, visit http://www.jexbo.com/items/48.

And do you have an idea for a book or need help marketing your self-published book? Please write to me here or at www.jexbo.com. I’d love to hear from you!