Sell Books Online Now!

Self-Published Author Interview Series – Barack Levin

Today in our self-published-author interview series, we talk to Barack Levin, author of the book, “The Diaper Chronicles.”

Tell us about your self-published book and where it is available.

My book is called, “The Diaper Chronicles.” It’s a stay-at-home Dad's quest for raising great kids and it is available on my site at http://www.baracklevin.com.

The book is my personal story on how and why I decided to become a stay\work-at-home Dad. It describes my 12 months with my son and my successes and failures in raising him. The book is full of tips and advice to other parents on how to raise great, independent kids while busting some common parenting myths along the way

Why did you decide to self-publish?

I wanted to publish my book with a publisher but had several things going against me. First, the economy. I figured that in this economy less people buy booksm and publishers will not queue up to publish my book.

Secondly, I am a first-time author, and as such, the chances of landing a deal with a publisher are very low.

Thirdly, I am a man writing about subjects that are usually covered by women.

Fourth, it takes time for a publisher to review the book, make changes and committ to it. I simply did not have the time to wait. And lastly, I like to be in charge of things. I thought it would give me more control over the marketing and promoting of the book.

What was your biggest challenge to overcome in self-publishing your book and why?

To my surprise, the actual self-publishing was a breeze. Within four weeks of submission, I had freshly printed copies in my hand. Furthermore, even now, it takes my publisher about one week to send me new copies. The process itself was painless, fully automated and simple.

The most challenging aspect of self publishing by far has to be the marketing and promotion. I self promote the book, and it took small strides to get to the big guns to cover my story. I started submitting queries to small web sites, volunteered contact and articles, and soon enough, bigger and more recognizable media outlets started to be interested in the book and the story, but it does take a lot of patience.

What has been the best part about self-publishing your book and why?

The best part is that I control my destiny. I make all the decisions (good and bad) and learn from my mistakes as I go along. The most rewarding feeling is when a piece or an article is published about me and the book, and it contains compliments and recommendations to buy the book.

Surprisingly enough, I am more excited about this part than the actual book sale since I never dreamed anyone would be interested in my personal story, but I guess I managed to touch on many feelings.

What advice do you have for other writers who are self-publishing their book?

Try, try and keep on trying. There is a saying: If God closes a door, he opens a window. This phrase is right. Do not be upset at negative or no responses. Keep on sending queries, keep on using your network, and keep on contacting the media.

With time, you will get to the right person who would love your story… which leads me to the second thing you need - patience and lots of it. Self-promoting your book takes a lot of time, and people do not put you on their priority list, so just keep on trying and be patient. If your story has a hook to it, someone will catch it.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

I never knew what I was getting myself into when I decided to write my book. I thought that it would only be for my own archives, apparently not. The story is everything. If you have no story, you have nothing.Make sure your book is appealing to your targeted audience.

Try to figure out what will cause them to buy this book. If you were in their shoes and saw your book, would it interest you? If not, then change it so it is more appealing.

Thanks for your great tips Barack, and we wish you all the best!

Do you need help marketing and selling your self-published book? Please write to me here or at www.jexbo.com. I can help!