Sell Books Online Now!

Self-Published Author Interview Series – Autobiography By Carolyn Mosby-Williams

Today, in our self-published-author interview series, we talk to Carolyn Mosby-Williams. Carolyn wrote an autobiography called “Unflappable” that sounds very interesting.

Tell us about your self-published book and where it is available.

“Unflappable,” is currently available online at www.unflappable-book.com and documents the first 40 years of my life as a Gary, Indiana-native. Born into a family already seasoned with age and older children, I introduce readers into my “coming of age” story in an honest and sometimes humorous way. In childhood, I was prepared for life’s twists and turns, including mortality between my parents when both faced battles with cancer.

As a somewhat rebellious teenager, I highlight the various tests of discipline, respect and focus demanded from the late John Oliver Mosby, Sr., my retired father and my mother, the late Indiana State Senator Carolyn Brown Mosby, whose workaholic background passed down to her daughter. “Unflappable” also reveals the benefits and the angst of sometimes living in my mother’s shadow and fighting to become my own person.

Along with her strengths, “Unflappable” also follows my own challenges and opportunities, including working with notable individuals such as the late Rev. Charles Williams (no relation), president of Indiana Black Expo, Inc., a man I called mentor and friend. With exposure to media, celebrity and corporate America, I express how I unknowingly built a wall of protection around myself until an outsider told me that my foundation was crumbling. Readers will go on the journey and learn of the necessary decisions that changed my life and allowed me to rebuild. The journey also includes a look inside the family’s connections with Black and American history over the generations.

Why did you decide to self-publish?

I decided to self publish because large, publishing houses rarely accept unsolicited manuscripts. In addition, as a publicist I had represented many authors who also self-published and was aware of some of the benefits as well as the pitfalls to take care of. I found a self-publisher that approached things a little differently. Instead of publishing any and every manuscript that came to them if the author was willing to pay, this self publisher only selected up to 12 books a year, and they actually read the manuscript to determine if they thought it was a good story. I still paid for everything, but they were the objective voice that you don’t always get when self-publishing.

What was your biggest challenge to overcome in self-publishing your book and why?

My biggest challenge was finding the right self publisher. I wanted to make sure I had a quality product even though I didn’t have a big publishing house behind me.

What has been the best part about self-publishing your book and why?

The best part of self-publishing is that I am in complete control – creatively and from a marketing and PR perspective. I have a strong background in marketing and PR, and I have represented other authors. In addition, I don’t have to share the proceeds from the sale of the books.

What advice do you have for other writers who are self-publishing their book?

Research all of your options. Make sure you have a story that others will find interesting – not just you. Have it professionally edited, and if you can afford it, hire someone to help with PR and marketing
Thanks for your great insights on your autobiographical, self-published book Carolyn!

Do you need help marketing and selling your self-published book? Please write to me here or at www.jexbo.com. I can help!