Sell Books Online Now!

Interview with Self-Published Author Karen Magill

Today we’re going to hear from author Karen Magill. Here’s what she has to share with us:


Tell us about your self-published book and where it is available.

I have two self published novels. One is "The Bond, A Paranormal Love Story." A woman, Laura Neill, in Vancouver is struck while crossing the street. At the same time in Toronto a car also strikes Julian Rule.

When both have an out of body experience, their ethereal forms bond as one before separating - each taking a part of the other's soul with them as they return to their bodies. They are truly soul mates. When he senses that she is in danger - a feeling that is confirmed by a psychic friend - Julian goes to Vancouver to come to her aid. With the help of a detective, Julian is able to prove that Laura's fiance is a con artist and a murderer. When Julian confronts the man, he and Laura are placed in imminent danger.

The other is "Let Us Play, A Paranormal Love Story." In an uncertain time in the future, rock and roll music has been banned. Kaya More uses second sight to lead a group of rebels to bring it back. Their quest leads them from the streets of New York City to the peaks of the Canadian Rockies to the beaches of California. The pursuit heats up as combatants switch sides and the world joins forces as the rebels find adventure, music and love.

"The Bond" is going to be published in Turkish soon. I sold the rights to a small publisher in Turkey.

Why did you decide to self-publish?

I wanted to see what I could do on my own without a big house or agent telling me what to do.

What was your biggest challenge to overcome in self-publishing your book and why?

Promotion and getting the books selling. It is an uphill battle constantly but it is fun learning all the new ways to get more attention and to find your own interviews and such. It is a great learning experience.

What has been the best part about self-publishing your book and why?

I have really enjoyed learning about so much to do with the writing industry. I don’t think I would be learning all avenues if it weren’t for self publishing. Right now, I am waiting for a book on being one’s own literary agent and I can learn even more about the business. I don’t know if I would have learned as much if I had an agent and they handled everything.

What advice do you have for other writers who are self-publishing their book?

Learn everything you can and research anyone you are dealing with. There are a lot of good people involved with writing but there are a lot of scam artists too. Also learn as much as you can about promotion and marketing. You’ll need it.

Is there anything you would like to add?

I want to thank you for interviewing me and everyone for reading. Check out my blog on Vancouver and its history at http://karen-magill.blogspot.com/ and my website http://www.karenmagill.com/.



Thanks so much for telling us about yourself and your books, and good luck with book sales!