Sell Books Online Now!

Today at jexbo, we’re talking to Linda Hoagland, author of nine self-published or print-on-demand books. Here’s what she had to say:


Tell us about your self-published book and where it is available.

"Watch Out for Eddy" is a story about a fifteen-year-old named Eddy, whose life is forever changed when he, while riding a bicycle, collides with a car.

Eddy’s mother, Ellen, tells the story of her son’s survival as well as the survival of the family. While she was waiting for Eddy’s brain to heal, Ellen looked for help with handling the monster that the brain injury had created. The part of Eddy’s brain that was injured was the part that led to aggression and hatred. His brain seemed to be stuck in that mode. Her quiet, passive son changed to one that was determined to kill her and his younger brother.

Ellen needed help and wasn’t able to find it. It became her goal to write a book so others, who might be in her situation, could have whatever guidance she was able to offer.

"Watch Out for Eddy" is available at Amazon.com and from the author. It was published in 2009 by Henderson Publishing of Pounding Mill, Virginia.

Why did you decide to self-publish?

I live in a rural area of Virginia where there are no national chain bookstores, no literary agents, or direct paths to the large publishing houses. The only way my words were going to be put on the printed page was by self-publishing and, of course, selling those books by personally presenting them to the public.

What were the biggest challenges to overcome in self-publishing your book and why?

The cost became my biggest challenge to getting this particular book published. It took a great deal of time to get the funds gathered to begin the process, but I couldn’t have been happier about the end product.

I wanted my book edited for spelling and grammar but I didn’t want the content changed in any other way because it was a true store and I wanted it to remain true.

Self-publishing allowed me to keep my story true and factual with only the names changed to protect Eddy.

What was the best part about self-publishing your book and why?

In order to get my books into the hands of the readers, I have to get out and meet the public, which I gladly do at every function where they allow me to set-up a table. Most of the time I get to talk one-on-one to people and tell them about my writing and how much a part of my life it has become.

I have discovered that because I self-publish or use print-on-demand, that I get a bigger portion of the profit than if I were published by one of the large publishing houses who limit the writer to a very small percentage of the profit for each book sale.

What advice do you have for other writers who are self-publishing their book?

If it is your desire to be the next John Grisham or Danielle Steel, then you should seek the services of a literary agent and pound away at the big publishing houses. But – if you want to see your words in print the way you wrote them, then self-publishing is the route to follow.

I would love national recognition for my writing, but I’m very realistic with my dreams. If my books are read by my friends, neighbors, and those I meet and greet at the fairs and festivals in my region of this wonderful country, I will be happy.

Is there anything you would like to add?

Keep writing – the more you write, the better you get.

I have eight other self-published or print-on-demand books available. They are:

FICTION:

Checking on the House, 2011

Death by Computer, 2010

The Backwards House, 2009

An Awfully Lonely Place, 2008

NONFICTION:

Quilted Memories, 2011

Living Life for Others, 2010

Just a Country Boy – Don Dunford, 2010, Edited

The Little Old Lady Next Door, 2006

They are available from the writer, Amazon.com, PublishAmerica, or local outlets in Virginia, West Virginia, and Tennessee.

Arts Depot – Abingdon, VA

Holston Mountain Artisans – Abingdon, VA

Appalachian Arts Center – Richlands, VA

Historic Crab Order Museum – Tazewell, VA

Bubba’s Book Swap – Kingsport, TN

Hearthside Books – Bluefield, VA

Brainy Boston Bookstore – Princeton, WV



Thanks for the great information about self-publishing your books Linda! Good luck with more book sales!
For more information on self-publishing, visit http://www.jexbo.com/.