Sell Books Online Now!

jexbo Self-Published Author Interview Series – Gabriel Schechter

Today, I had the pleasure of interviewing self-published author Gabriel Schechter. After publishing three books, here’s what Gabriel had to say…

Tell us about your self-published book.

I've published three books of baseball history, all available at www.charlesapril.com. The first two are available at Amazon.com, and other stray sites and stores. The books are: 1) VICTORY FAUST: The Rube Who Saved McGraw's Giants (2000), 2) UNHITTABLE! Baseball's Greatest Pitching Seasons (2002) and 3) THIS BAD DAY IN YANKEES HISTORY (2009)

Why did you decide to self-publish?

My first book was about a fairly obscure player, and I couldn't get a mainstream publisher interested in it. I also had a nibble about a possible film deal and preferred owning the rights to the book if that materialized, which it did (the deal, not yet the film). I had enough savings to finance it, so I did it.

What was your biggest challenge to overcome in self-publishing your book and why?

The biggest challenge was, and continues to be, marketing – finding the time and energy to promote the book and seek markets for it, finding the motivation after running into roadblocks and disinterest, and being persistent at exploring possibilities for selling copies.

What has been the best part about self-publishing your book and why?

By far, the best part was that I was able to create and produce all three books exactly the way I wanted them to read and look. With the help of good typesetters and cover designers, I produced three books I'm very proud of and which are my, not another publisher's, version of what they thought my books should be.

What advice do you have for other writers who are self-publishing their book?

It echoes what I said earlier. Be prepared to devote as least as much time and energy to marketing and selling the book (and filling orders) as you did to putting the book together. There are so many little business details that have to be attended to that it can be all-consuming.

If you can afford it, hire professionals in specialized fields (distribution, publicity, accounting, etc.) to take up some of the workload. But the bottom-line responsibility is yours, and you can't overlook things that are a nuisance but still important.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Dan Poynter's books are very helpful, though as with all advice some of it will apply to your venture and some won't. First and foremost, produce a book that you would want to read and are proud to have your name on. Then be prepared to do everything you can to sell those copies!

Excellent advice Gabriel! Thank you!

And how about you? Do you need help getting the word out about your self-published book? Send your questions to me, and check out the free information at http://www.jexbo.com/.