Sell Books Online Now!

Self-Published Author Interview Series – Adrienne Graham

Today in our self-published-author interview series, we talk to Adrienne Graham, author of “Go Ahead, Talk to Strangers: The Modern Girl’s Guide to Fearless Networking and the CEO of Empower Me! Corporation.

Tell us about your self-published book, Adrienne.

My book, “Go Ahead, Talk to Strangers: The Modern Girl’s Guide to Fearless Networking” is available on my website www.goaheadtalktostrangers.com. The book was written to serve as a guide to women who are introverted, shy and unsure of their networking abilities. I drew from personal experiences in writing this book, which is a blend of personal experiences, anecdotes, advice and cautionary tales. It shows women how they can shed their shyness and blossom as a strategic networker.

Why did you decide to self-publish?

I self-published mainly because I wanted to circumvent the traditional publishers and get my book out on the market in a timely manner without the hassle of third-party interference or restrictions.

What was your biggest challenge to overcome in self-publishing your book?

The biggest challenge I faced was being secure in my abilities to not just finish the book, but also to bring it to market. I heard the many stories of people pouring their heart and soul into their books only to have them rejected by traditional publishers. Once I understood the self-publishing landscape, it was easier for me to get over my initial fears.

What has been the best part about self-publishing your book?

Control. I love the fact that I can write “unedited” and not have to worry about someone coming in and changing concepts, direction or tone of my book. And I didn’t have to commit to buying a large quantity of copies of the book. I used a publishing-on-demand service.

What advice do you have for other potential writers and self-published authors?

I would tell them to always market. When you self-publish, you are responsible for marketing and selling your book. With social media, the marketing process is easier than it was years ago. But just because we have social media, it doesn’t mean that the author can afford to slack on marketing. Also, if you can afford it, hire a publicist who specializes in authors. They can identify media opportunities on your behalf. I’d also recommend that they create a website for the book in addition to promoting it on their primary website.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Self-publishing doesn’t have to be a scary process. Even before the book is complete, you need to create a marketing and distribution strategy. It’s best to start promoting the book well before the release. You can use blogging as a great platform to release information about the book. Also, schedule book readings. These can be done locally or virtually. When I released my book, I hosted a webcast book reading complete with a Q & A session and it was very well received.

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your self-publishing experience Adrienne. We wish you all the best with the sale of your book!


How about you? Do you need assistance marketing and selling your self-published book online? Please write to me here or at www.jexbo.com. I can help!