Sell Books Online Now!

Weekend in Austria

My husband Dietmar is Austrian, and even though we live in Germany, we spend many weekends in Austria so our son can see his cousins and grandparents there. Dietmar grew up in Linz, the third largest city in Austria (after Vienna and Graz), but when his parents retired a few years ago, they moved to the small village where my father-in-law grew up. His mother (Dietmar’s grandma) was the schoolteacher in the village, so everyone there knows my in-laws.

One weekend we were arriving near midnight and to our surprise, a police car followed us all the way through the village until we pulled into my in-law’s driveway and got out of our car. We thought that was a little odd, but it was made even more odd when the following weekend my father-in-law mailed us a copy of a story that had been in their local paper that week. Basically the story said, “The Exlers of Hochscharten Street were visited this past weekend by their oldest son and his family who live in Germany. Their arrival was monitored by the police who noted the German license plate on their black sedan.”

I’ve traveled all over Europe, and the only time I’ve made the news here is when I arrived late one night in a small village in Austria.


Do you have questions about being a self-published author or entrepreneur? Feel free to write to me here or at www.jexbo.com. I'd love to hear from you!