Sell Books Online Now!

Self-Published Author Interview Series – Robert M de la Torre – 9-28-10

Today, we talk to self-published author, Robert M. de la Torre, author of "Six Great Short Stories." Here are Robert’s tips:

Tell us about your self-published book and where it is available.

My self pubished book is: "Six Great Short Stories" and it's available on Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble and other, online bookstores.

Why did you self-publish your book?

I chose to self-publish because of the time factor. I wanted to get my work out there uninterrupted and within a timeframe that was suitable for me.

I also wanted to have my work published as a manuscript, without the editing and formatting of mass produced literature so that people would actually be able to read the work that I have done, as if I were speaking the way I usually do.

What was your biggest challenge to overcome in self-publishing your book and why?

My biggest challenge was to learn how to use the tools that self-published authors face… learning the techniques and how to develop them. Also, I wanted to get my art work on the cover of the book, sometimes tracking down the artists who created them and getting their permission. Although, I do most of my art work myself, as I am an abstract artist and love to paint.

The best part of self-publishing was the feeling that I was in control all the way through. I didn't have to meet deadlines, and I could feel free to to back and change what I thought was necessary, and also embellish later the things that I left out.

What advice do you have for other writers who are self-publishing their book?

My advice to those who want to go the self-publish route is not to be afraid to get creative. After all, think of it as a project that will reward you and others later on. Before you decide that the work you have created is what you want others to see, have some people you know read it and critique, then go at it and get it done. Don't put yourself on a time table, take it easy all the way through.

In addition, take a look at what others have accomplished. You'll be surprised how much you get out of it and how it will assist you in making decisions. Also, think of your creation as a work of art, after all that's what it is.

Great insights Robert! Thanks! All the best with your self-published book.



How about you? Do need assistance marketing and selling your self-published book online? Check out the free marketing we offer self-published authors at http://www.jexbo.com/ or send me a note. I can help!