Sell Books Online Now!

Self-Published Author Interview Series - Terri Sanchez

As part of today’s self-published-author interview series, we talk to Terri Sanchez, author of the fiction novel, “Mirrored Minds.”


Tell us about your self-published book.

My book is a fiction novel entitled “Mirrored Minds” and was written under the pen name of Terri Lee (my first and middle names). The book is currently available in independently owned bookstores in Grand Rapids and on my website at www.mirroredminds.com. It will soon be available at Borders, Waldenbooks and more through my distributor, Partners Book Distributing Inc., Holt Michigan.

The book’s main character is Madelyn Grayson who has lost her family as well as her memory in a tragic accident. Madelyn’s struggle with her unknown past ultimately forces her to make a choice - should she continue trying to recapture her former self or forge ahead with a new beginning? Her life unfolds within the text culminating in an unpredictable twist.

Why did you decide to self-publish?

My decision to self-publish came about through conversations with other writers on social networking sites and from reading blogs and articles appearing on the Internet. Furthermore, I felt the time it would take to query numerous agents would further delay getting my book out in the market, and I was anxious to place it in the hands of readers.

What was your biggest challenge to overcome in self-publishing your book and why?

I thought my biggest challenge came in educating myself in the processes of the publishing world, establishing resources I could trust to edit, provide cover art/photography, graphic design and print manufacturing while keeping my costs reasonable. Now, I believe my biggest challenge exists in changing the minds of the public who still seem to view self-published novels as a grade below books distributed through traditional publishing companies.

What has been the best part about self-publishing your book and why?

The best part of self-publishing has been the gratification I felt when I finally saw my words in print in an actual perfect bound book with my title, my name and artwork that I chose held in my hands.

What advice do you have for other writers who are self-publishing their book?

Don’t cut corners just to get your book out there. Producing a quality book will bring about a greater satisfaction to both you and your readers.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

I’d like to suggest to my peers a caution that I also remind myself of everyday as I move forward in the writing world. Have patience! It takes time for a book to take hold. Take pleasure in the small successes that come from the positive comments you receive from the readers that enjoy your book. Persevere!

Thanks so much for your inspirational words Terri! Good luck with your book sales!

Do need assistance marketing and selling your self-published book online? Check out the free marketing we offer self-published authors at www.jexbo.com or send me a note. I can help! Thanks!